What is a dementia alliance?
A dementia alliance is a group of people who are interested in helping to make their community or town more dementia-friendly.
Dementia alliances are listed on our community map, and are marked as either a ‘recognised’ dementia alliance or a ‘developing’ dementia alliance
A recognised dementia alliance is one that has submitted an action plan, which has been reviewed and approved by the dementia-friendly team. The action plan will provide detail on how the alliance will make their local community dementia-friendly.
A recognised dementia alliance will receive ‘working towards dementia-friendly’ status and be listed on the community map as a recognised dementia alliance.
Each dementia alliance will be unique and reflect their community, the aims of the dementia alliance, and who is involved.
A recognised dementia alliance must include:
- people living with dementia, alongside care partners and family members of people living with dementia, and
- a designated contact or coordinator.
A recognised dementia alliance can also include:
- local business owners, managers or staff
- local community group members
- service providers
- members of the local council, or
- any other interested person.
A developing dementia alliance is an alliance that is still relatively new and working on developing their action plan.
To see if a dementia alliance operates in your local area, please take a look at the community map.
Want to set up your own dementia alliance?
- Become a Dementia Friend
- Read the ‘Creating Dementia-Friendly Communities Toolkit’
- Invite others to join you
- Organise a meeting to discuss what the alliance wants to achieve
- Complete an action plan (a template is within the toolkit) and submit it to the dementia-friendly team for approval.
- Once your action plan is formally approved by the dementia-friendly team you will receive ‘working towards dementia-friendly’ status and be added to the community map as a recognised dementia alliance.
- Begin to implement your action plan and promote your activities through local media and/or community events as appropriate.
- Review your progress annually and send the dementia-friendly team an updated action plan each year.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org